Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation



Ajax Loading Image


Substitute Teachers and Substitute Bus Drivers Needed

Substitute Teachers and Substitute Bus Drivers Needed


Our school is in need of individuals who are willing to serve the community as substitute teachers and substitute school bus drivers.  These are two areas of critical importance for the consistent operation of our school district.  Please see below for additional information:


Bus Driving

Requirements for bus driving in Nebraska include completion of Level I certification, completion of a physical, and for driving most buses, holding a CDL permit.  Level I classes are being held in Scottsbluff at ESU#13 from 5:3- to 9:30 pm on December 13, 14, and 15. 

For additional information on the process of earning a bus license, please visit the Nebraska Safety Center website at





Substitute Teaching


In Nebraska, individuals who have earned 60 credit hours of college coursework with at least one course in education may qualify for a local substitute teaching permit.  We would encourage members of our community who might meet these criteria to apply for a local substitute teaching permit. 

Here are the detailed requirements from the Nebraska Department of Education:

LOCAL SUBSTITUTE TEACHING PERMIT The Local Substitute Teaching Permit is valid for three (3) years and is limited to forty-five (45) days of teaching in any school year. This type of Permit is valid for teaching only in the Nebraska school system requesting the issuance. This Permit requires a minimum of sixty (60) semester credit hours of college coursework with at least one (1) course in Professional Education.


The following documents must be submitted for the Local Substitute Teaching Permit:


● The Application form and non-refundable application fee online at www.education.ne.gov/tcert OR Print, complete sign and date the Application form from the Supporting Forms link at www.education.ne.gov/tcert and your payment by check or money order AND


 ● Record of Residence Form online if you have lived in Nebraska for the immediate past five (5) years, OR complete a Livescan fingerprint card at a State Patrol office OR two (2) ink rolled fingerprint card(s) and fingerprint fee by check or money order. Order the fingerprint packet at nde.tcertweb@nebraska.gov


● Official Transcripts indicating sixty (60) semester credit hours of college coursework to include a professional education course. A professional education course is any course with an education prefix or a course in child psychology, child growth and development, classroom management, school organization, child abuse and neglect, observation of children or in general terms, anything dealing with children, schools, or education AND


● Written request from the Superintendent for issuance of the Permit. This request must be signed by the Superintendent or the personnel director of the school system. Include a statement indicating that the issuance of the Permit is approved or requested by the local governing board.


● Official transcripts for a pre-approved course to meet the Human Relations Training requirement. NOTE: The Temporary Certificate, valid for SIX MONTHS, will be issued if the Human Relations Training requirement has not been met.


Source:  https://www.education.ne.gov/TCERT/pdfs/Manual%20web-5.pdf


For individuals who are interested in becoming a substitute teacher, please visit https://www.education.ne.gov/TCERT/  for general information and https://dc2.education.ne.gov/tcertlf/tcert_newapp.dll/EXEC to complete the online application form. 


For additional information on employment opportunities at Bayard Public Schools, please visit /vnews/display.v/SEC/District%20Information%7CEmployment%20Opportunities