Bayard Students and Staff Achieve Significant Accomplishments!
From the Superintendent's Standpoint
By Travis Miller
Bayard Students Achieve Significant Accomplishments!
It is hard to believe that school is starting again already within the next month! I hope that the members of our school community are enjoying the longer hours of daylight and the warmer weather we have been having. It has been enjoyable to see our students around town working, enjoying the swimming pool, and reading a book from the public library. Summer is a great time for our students to develop new skills and to explore their passions that may or may not be directly connected to the school curriculum.
As we make preparations for the coming school year it is fitting we also look back on the past year and reflect on the progress that our students and our school district have made. Below are some partial lists of the many accomplishments made possible with a dedicated and professional staff, hard working students, and supportive community members and parents:
Partial List of Student Accomplishments (in no particular order):
- MAC Jr. High Girls Championships in Volleyball, Basketball, and Track
- MAC Jr. High Boys Championship in Track
- MAC Boys Basketball Season Championship
- One MAC Gold Medal ACT Award Winner and three MAC Silver Medal Award Winners
- Twenty four students were on the MAC Honor Roll
- Three Scholar Athlete Awards for the two conferences
- Twenty seven seniors completed the graduation requirements
- Four Destination Imagination teams qualified for the state-level competition
- High School Destination Imagination Global Finals-Qualifying Team
- Six track and field athletes qualified for state competition
- Jessi Smith earned two gold medals and one silver medal at the state track meet
- Numerous individuals being honored in both MAC and WTC conferences with first, second teams and honorable mention
- Five young men qualified for state wrestling
- Two students qualified for state speech with Jessi Smith placing 4th.
- Two students qualified for state cross country
- Graduation of a 2nd Teen CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Team
Partial List of School Accomplishments (in no particular order):
- Established and Successfully Operated Bayard Tiger Cub Preschool (Grant Funded)
- Adoption of Reading Curriculum (Reading Mastery and Wonders)
- Enhanced Social Media Presence (Twitter added along with FaceBook, School Website)
- Implementation of 1:1 Initiative (iPads in for Grades 9-12)
- Implementation of Microsoft IT Academy
- Implementation of E-Funds for Schools (Online Payment of Lunch Accounts and Other Bills)
- Installation of Project Fit America Equipment (Grant Funded/Volunteer Installed) and Curriculum
- Implementation of Summer Feeding Program (Grand Funded Start-up and Grant Funded Expansion)
- Hosted Concussion/CPR/First Aid Training for WTC and MAC Conference Schools
- Hosted #EdCampBayard Professional Development
- Successfully Authored Grant Application for the Pathfinders Program (21st Century Community Learning Center)
- Developed Partnership with Nebraska Extension/4-H to provide enhanced curricular opportunities to our students
- Implemented Successful Locally Raised, Donated, and Processed Beef Program in our School Lunch Program
- Completed the Coordinated School Health Institute through the Nebraska Department of Education
- Expanded Salad Bar to Grades 4-6 Elementary Students and Piloted Expansion in Primary Grades
- Instituted Breakfast in the Classroom
- Implemented Scheduled Adjustments to Promote Learning (Recess before lunch, increased PE time)
- Operationalized TeamMates Mentoring Program
- Successfully Hosted 6 Track Meets involving 24 JH teams and 59 high school teams with the number of athletes using the Valley Bank and Trust Track and Field venue somewhere between 2500 and 3000.
- Implemented Mentor Training Program
- Developed and Implemented Certificated Staff Handbook
- Made significant Safety Improvements (New Lift in Ag Shop, Safety Straps on Basketball Hoops, Door Stops in Ag Shop)
- Developed and Promoted Core Covenants (Bayard Public Schools: It’s a FACT!)
- Partnership with Minatare Public Schools for the Services of a Spanish Teacher
- Continued Partnership with Bridgeport Public Schools and Garden County Schools for Transportation Services to LifeLinks Program at ESU#13
- Implementation of 3 Perkins Grants (Lego Robotics, CNC Wood Router, and Band)
- Partnership with Head Start (Including Transitions from CAPWN to CDI to ESU#13)
- Implementation of biometric time clock procedures
- Improvements to High School Camera System
- Continued positive communication between parents, students, and staff
- Development of and leadership by Bayard Tiger Association (Parent Group)
- Successful Rule 10 visit with no violations or comments for improvement
- Updated achievements testing to be web-based and was successfully completed on the iPads for grades 9-11
I am sure there are many additional accomplishments of our students and our staff that I have missed in the partial lists above. What is important, in addition to the recognition of our students and staff, is to note that it takes a committed and supportive community for our school district to function effectively. Bayard Public Schools is blessed with the support of a great community, and I am proud to be a part of our team and community.
I anticipate the coming school year will be filled with additional successes for our students and staff. When a positive attitude is combined with intentional action great results are possible.
Like any year, the coming school year will have challenges and opportunities. I am looking forward to that journey alongside our students and staff. I hope everyone enjoys the last weeks of summer.
As always, if you would like to share success stories about Bayard Public Schools or if you have ideas about how we can work together to make our school even better, please call the school or send me an email.